Dear USA Volleyball Members and Friends,
I am writing you today to share information regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus and measures that we are taking to address the situation at hand. USA Volleyball continues to closely monitor advisories and updates from the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, the Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB), other National Governing Bodies and the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) concerning the coronavirus that has spread to many countries.
USA Volleyball’s medical and sports performance team has been selected as the lead group within our organization to gather information and analyze/assess the situation. As of today, this team has collected the following data:
- In China where the disease was first discovered, the epidemic peaked and plateaued between the 23rd of January and the 2nd of February, and has been declining steadily since then. Source: World Health Organization
- 97% of total COVID-19 cases are in China (~78,000 out of the ~81,000) Source: World Health Organization
- There are more new cases outside of China in the past week totaling 1,261 in the Republic of Korea, 164 in Japan, 322 in Italy, and 95 in Iran. Source: World Health Organization
- In the United States, as of 2/26 there are 14 documented cases (0 deaths). This number does not include people who returned to the U.S. via State Department-chartered flights (total of 53 if these individuals are included). Source: Centers for Disease Control
- World Health Organization Situation Report (PDF)
In the meantime, we are asking you to take proactive precautions as recommended by the Center for Disease Control to protect yourself and those around you. Specifically:
- Get a flu vaccine
- Avoid contact with sick people (if you’re sick, limit contact with others)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your nose and mouth with something disposable (like a tissue) when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Clean frequently touched items (cell phones, airplane seating area -tray table, screens, windows, arm rests, air vents, etc.)
- Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
- It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
- Bring extra hand sanitizer with you to all events.
Most importantly, if you have a respiratory illness or fever, please stay home.
USA Volleyball will continue to monitor the situation and update our website with the latest information as it becomes available.
Chief Executive Officer